Fighting Multiple Sclerosis

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Vision

Oh this is so annoying! How many of us deal with vision problems or Optic Neuritis? Currently I am having the onset of another case of "The attack of Optic Neuritis". I have to wonder if this time it is going to be permanent. Any new symptom I have gotten have been permanent so it makes me wonder if this is going to be. The reason for me being so scared about it is due to me having Primary Progressive MS and as we know this type of MS progressively gets worse with no remission.

So what I want to know is how this affects everybody and how you deal with it. For me so far I have the blurry vision and also some nausea along with the wonderful eye ball pain. While dealing with this I can't help but look at my son and pray to God that I will get to watch him grow up.


Many of us with multiple sclerosis (MS) have experienced vision-related symptoms, the most common one being optic neuritis. You could also have experienced optic neuritis and been told that you have a good chance of developing MS in the future.

You also could be experiencing some bizarre problems with your vision and are currently trying to figure out what in the world is going on. Clearly, many things can cause problems with vision and that you should ALWAYS get your eyes checked if you are experiencing strange symptoms. If you have the following symptoms, you most likely have optic neuritis, which simply translates to “swelling of the optic nerve.” It is important to know that optic neuritis can have different causes (and approaches to treatment), so even if you have MS and are fairly confident that you have diagnosed yourself correctly, you must see your doctor.


What Does Optic Neuritis Feel Like?
•Painful: Most people with optic neuritis (about 90%) experience pain when moving their eyes. This pain usually subsides after a couple of days, even if vision is still affected.
•Appearing Over a Couple of Days: For most people, the onset is pretty rapid, with the peak vision loss occurring within 24 to 48 hours of onset.
•Usually Only in One Eye: Optic neuritis can affect the vision in both eyes simultaneously, but this is extremely rare.
•Reduced Vision: This can take different forms and can be described as:
•Blurring
•Reduced light
•Absence of color
•Flashes of light when the eyes are moved, called phosphenes
•A “blank spot” in the middle of the eye, called a scotoma

Well I don't know about you but this is scary b/c I don't want to lose my sight. MS has taken so many things from me I feel like my vision is something I still have control over. Now I find myself wondering "do I really have control?" If anybody has any helpful tips to get through this please leave a comment.


Much Love and Thanks to all my readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment